Friday, August 14, 2009

Food, Glorious Food....

On Facebook, we have through Autism Global Network a group called 'Food/Diet & Environment'. This group was established so that we, as parents & carers can use a positive and proactive approach when dealing with the issue of food/diet and environment for children on the autism spectrum and with other related conditions such as ADHD and food intolerances. The group endeavours to find solutions to improve our children’s health by having meaningful discussions about diet, including gluten, casein & sugar free diets as well as environmental issues. if you are interested in joining, the Facebook link is: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=138953080071

I, just like anyone else, am struggling to implement this dramatic, but necessary change in my home. This is mainly due to the fact the kids just won't eat a lot of the GFCF food. I did, however, have some success that I shared with the group and would like to share with you also. Last night I cooked (with my daughter, Kristie's help) my very first GF lasagne. Wow - it was so yummy and you could hardly even taste the spinach that engrosed each layer. Kristie loved it and was more than happy to have it for lunch today and Shane thought it wasn't bad either. Please note that without the cheese, the lasagne would have been casein free too.
I had run out of our pene GF noodles and so when Aaron asked for noodles for dinner, I had to get out my GF spiral spinach noodles. After a bit of encouragement and making a fun time with the spirals (that go around and round!), he ate them. Great.... now for Jacob. Jacob, who did eat a bit of fruit but hasn't taken to it lately picked up a fresh organic banana and ate all of it. Yippeeeee!!!! I can tell you I went to sleep very proud of the fact everyone in the house had eaten something healthy for dinner, which is a rare event for us.

OTHER NEWS.... I have finally received my ordered book 'Special Diets for Special Kids'. At a glance, it looks to have a wealth of information in addition to the recipes and I am very much looking forward to reading it from cover to cover. What I love the most about the Lisa Lewis pubications is that her diet books are presented in a folder, which makes it much easier to lay out on the bench when following a recipe.I would like to put together a list of the main ingredients to keep stocked in the house for her GFCF recipes and will share it with you when it is done.

HAPPY RAINBOWS,
Allison

1 comment:

Hay Farrel said...

I wish I can buy 1..

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Lynn. I'm from Malaysia. I'm a young special needs teacher. I don't know you. But I have read your comment on Special Needs Education Japan Forum. I believe you must live in Japan now teaching special needs kids. I would like to know more about you. Can we be friends. I want to expand my knowledge on this special needs kids. Iwould also like to know if you know and suggests me the great place to learn worldwide. I would like to know more about Special Needs especially on how to:

- evaluate and diagnose kids
- how to create an excellent program for the kids
- how to improve sensory pathaways
- how to teach them
- how to improve thier coordination
- how to improve kids mobility function
- Important physical exercises for improving language, learning and understanding
- How to Help the kids mature socially and develop relationships

I have fall in love with my job. Please feel free to feedback me anytime you free.

Feel free to see my blog.. this blog i just started last weeks, is about my special needs students.tq

http://cikgulynnsblog.blogspot.com/